First thing that you need to do is to make sure that you have the correct Studio Settings in place. Please go to Settings > Studio Settings to make sure your studio is properly configured, including studio contact information, logo, currency, Paypal/Authorize.net accounts (optional, only if you want to receive payments online), among others. Save any changes that you've made.
Next, add students, teachers, parents, and staff members (if any). To do this, please go to People > Add Person and choose the type of person you want to add. You can also import information for students, teachers, etc by clicking on the import buttons to the far right of the screen while in the People List. For students, you can leave the Registrations section blank for now. We will set that up later (section B below). If you want students and parents to have their own access to Studio Helper, you have to assign usernames and passwords for them too in their own profile pages.
Once you have added students and parents you will need to make a primary billing contact. Typically a parent will be checked as primary billing for child students and adult students are checked as their own billing contact. So be sure to check the box for the appropriate contact in the profiles. The next thing to do is to create Packages. Then register the students to a teacher and a package. And finally, include the student in the event's (or lesson's) Participants List. Here are the steps in detail:
A. Create a package:
1. Go to the Rates & Packages Page (Settings > Rates & Packages)
2. Click New Package.
3. Fill out the form according to your requirements. Note: If you want to use "enable automatic billing from calendar" you should set your packages to "per lesson" charging.
4. Click Save Package.
B. Register a student to a teacher and package:
5. Go to the student's profile page.
6. Under Registrations section, click New Registration.
7. Select the package, teacher, and instrument from the drop down menu.
8. Click Add Registration button.
9. Save the student's profile
C. Create an event and add the student in the Participants List
10. Go to Add Event Page (Calendar > Add Event)
11. Fill out the event details (event title, time, date, location, etc)
12. Under Participants section, select a teacher from the drop down menu.
13. Check the box beside the name of student you want to include in the event/lesson. The names will then be shown in the Attendees List.
14. Optional: if you want to send a reminder, check the box of the people you want to send the reminder to. To send it upon saving the event, enable "Send a reminder now"
15. Click Save Event.
16. When you go to your calendar, you will notice that the newly created event is now included.
If you haven't watched the introductory video yet, I highly recommend you do so that you can visualize how the above steps are done.